Tegra DRM device tree bindings

Mark Zhang markz at nvidia.com
Tue Jun 26 22:28:01 PDT 2012

> carveout as:

> > > Yes. But I think it's better to export the size of carveout as a configurable item.
> > > So we need to define this somewhere. How about define carveout as a
> property of gart?
> >
> > There already exists a way of preventing Linux from using certain
> > chunks of memory; the /memreserve/ syntax. From a brief look at the
> > dtc source, it looks like /memreserve/ entries can have labels, which
> > implies that a property in the GART node could refer to the
> > /memreserve/ entry by phandle in order to know what memory regions to use.
>
> Wasn't the whole point of using a carveout supposed to be a replacement for the
> GART? As such I'd think the carveout should rather be a property of the host1x
> device.
>
> AIUI what we want to do is have a large contiguous region of memory that a
> central component (host1x) manages as a pool from which clients (DRM, V4L, ...)
> can allocate buffers as needed. Since all of this memory will be contiguous
> anyway there isn't much use for the GART anymore.

I have the same understanding. We don't need GART anymore if carveout is enabled.
I'm thinking that why we need to define a property and reference to global
/memreserve/ in GART or HOST1X node?
We can just define a label for /memreserve/, so we can distinguish these memory
reservations already in codes.