Tegra DRM device tree bindings

Lucas Stach dev at lynxeye.de
Wed Jun 27 08:59:55 PDT 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 27.06.2012, 16:44 +0200 schrieb Thierry Reding:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 05:29:14PM +0300, Hiroshi Doyu wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:08:10 +0200
> > Thierry Reding <thierry.reding at avionic-design.de> wrote:
> >
> > > * PGP Signed by an unknown key

> > > I was hoping that we could get away with using the CMA and perhaps
> > > initialize it based on device tree content. I agree that the carveout
> > > size depends on the use-case, but I still think it makes sense to
> > > specify it on a per-board basis.
> >
> > DRM driver doesn't know if it uses CMA or not, because DRM only uses
> > DMA API.
>
> So how is the DRM supposed to allocate buffers? Does it call the
> dma_alloc_from_contiguous() function to do that? I can see how it is
> used by arm_dma_ops but how does it end up in the driver?

As I said before the DMA API is not a good fit for graphics drivers.
Most of the DMA buffers used by graphics cores are long lived and big,
so we need a special pool to alloc from to avoid eating all contiguous
address space, as DMA API does not provide shrinker callbacks for
clients using large amount of memory.

> > I think that "coherent_pool" can be used only when the amount of
> > contiguous memory is short in your system. Otherwise even unnecessary.
> >
> > Could you explain a bit more why you want carveout size on per-board basis?
>
> In the ideal case I would want to not have a carveout size at all.
> However there may be situations where you need to make sure some driver
> can allocate a given amount of memory. Having to specify this using a
> kernel command-line parameter is cumbersome because it may require
> changes to the bootloader or whatever. So if you know that a particular
> board always needs 128 MiB of carveout, then it makes sense to specify
> it on a per-board basis.

If we go with CMA, this is a non-issue, as CMA allows to use the contig
area for normal allocations and only purges them if it really needs the
space for contig allocs.