Tegra DRM device tree bindings

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Thu Jun 28 04:12:53 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 05:59:55PM +0200, Lucas Stach wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 27.06.2012, 16:44 +0200 schrieb Thierry Reding:
> > On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 05:29:14PM +0300, Hiroshi Doyu wrote:

> > > DRM driver doesn't know if it uses CMA or not, because DRM only uses
> > > DMA API.
> >
> > So how is the DRM supposed to allocate buffers? Does it call the
> > dma_alloc_from_contiguous() function to do that? I can see how it is
> > used by arm_dma_ops but how does it end up in the driver?
> >
> As I said before the DMA API is not a good fit for graphics drivers.
> Most of the DMA buffers used by graphics cores are long lived and big,
> so we need a special pool to alloc from to avoid eating all contiguous
> address space, as DMA API does not provide shrinker callbacks for
> clients using large amount of memory.

I recall you mentioning TTM as a better alternative several times in the
past. How does it fit in with this? Does it have the capability of using
a predefined chunk of contiguous memory as a pool to allocate from?

One problem that all of these solutions don't address is that not all
devices below host1x are DRM related. At least for the CSI and VI blocks
I expect there to be V4L2 drivers eventually, so what we really need is
to manage allocations outside of the DRM. host1x is the most logical
choice here.

Perhaps we can put host1x code somewhere below drivers/gpu (mm
subdirectory?), drivers/memory or perhaps some other or new location
that could eventually host similar drivers for other SoCs.

Then again, maybe it'd be easier for now to put everything below the
drivers/gpu/drm/tegra directory and cross that bridge when we get to it.

> > > I think that "coherent_pool" can be used only when the amount of
> > > contiguous memory is short in your system. Otherwise even unnecessary.
> > >
> > > Could you explain a bit more why you want carveout size on per-board basis?
> >
> > In the ideal case I would want to not have a carveout size at all.
> > However there may be situations where you need to make sure some driver
> > can allocate a given amount of memory. Having to specify this using a
> > kernel command-line parameter is cumbersome because it may require
> > changes to the bootloader or whatever. So if you know that a particular
> > board always needs 128 MiB of carveout, then it makes sense to specify
> > it on a per-board basis.
>
> If we go with CMA, this is a non-issue, as CMA allows to use the contig
> area for normal allocations and only purges them if it really needs the
> space for contig allocs.

CMA certainly sounds like the most simple approach. While it may not be
suited for 3D graphics or multimedia processing later on, I think we
could use it at a starting point to get basic framebuffer and X support
up and running. We can always move to something more advanced like TTM
later.

Thierry