Tegra DRM device tree bindings

Thierry Reding thierry.reding at avionic-design.de
Thu Jun 28 05:07:05 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:49:43AM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 06/26/2012 11:07 PM, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 04:48:14PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
> > I actually like what you proposed above a lot, so if you don't
> > mind either way I'll go with that proposal. Keeping the connector
> > nodes as children of the outputs has the advantage of being able to
> > reference them if we need it at some point. But it is also
> > redundant in that a single output doesn't usually (never?) driver
> > more than one connector.
>
> Yes, I believe that each output is 1:1 with (the video portion of) a
> connector. The display controllers obviously aren't 1:1.

Yes, the display controllers are only 1:1 for the RGB outputs. I'll
merge your proposed changes and see if I can come up with some code to
parse it.

> > The same issue will have to be addressed for the CSI and VI nodes,
> > but as I currently use neither of those I don't feel qualified to
> > propose a binding for them. Also for the VI part we're completely
> > missing documentation. Maybe somebody could push this to be
> > released as well?
>
> I did file a bug noting the request for VI documentation. At this
> point in time, it's too early to say what, if anything, will come of that.

I think we have some raw register documentation for VI but it's next to
impossible to really understand the hardware block just by looking at
the registers.

> > If I understand correctly, most of the host1x children can also be
> > chained in a processing pipeline to do postprocessing an video
> > input for example. I suppose that's generic and doesn't need to be
> > represented in DT either, right?
>
> Yes, I believe that's something internal to the driver.

Okay. So I think apart from the carveout topic in the other subthread I
think we've settled on solutions for the remaining points. I'll try to
find some time to work all the changes into a new binding proposal and
get working on the code.

Thierry