[Lf_driver_backport] [ANN] compat-drm tree

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at frijolero.org
Thu Jun 28 12:38:44 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Ozan Çağlayan <ozancag at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm maintaining a compat-drm tree (based on compat.git) as part of my
> GSoC project with Linux Foundation, under the mentorship of Luis R.
> Rodriguez.
>
> The aim of the tree is to offer the latest DRM stuff to people stuck
> with older kernels (Currently all of the popular and maintained drm
> drivers except i915 (there's an i2c think that I couldn't backport
> yet) from linux-next can be built against kernels down to 3.0).
>
> The tree is on github. I've set up a shiny github pages for it:
>  http://ozancaglayan.github.com/compat-drm/

Great job!

Given that the compat module is shared, and a quite a bit of other
code / style is shared, and I'd love to see us start to formalize
documenting collateral evolutions on the kernel in one place I'd like
to propose to you merging this into compat-wirless and we then rename
the project to compat-drivers, with you maintaining the drm
components. This also gives us an already established quick outlet for
redistribution as well. What do you think?

Some comments:

In the patches/ directory if you can add a description on the top of
each patch explaining *why* that collateral evolution was not
backportable through compat it would help. It sets the standard for
others introducing similar types of patches.

For patches/00-vga_switcheroo_client_ops.patch:

I wonder if you may be able to get rid of this patch. The attached
patch is an RFC patch for compat.git which explains how I'm thinking
this may be possible, I don't have time to test it but let me know
what you think.

Great work though!

  Luis