Kernel Display and Video API Consolidation mini-summit at ELC 2012 - Notes

Heiko Stübner heiko at sntech.de
Fri Mar 2 06:23:53 PST 2012

Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2012, 00:25:51 schrieb Laurent Pinchart:
> Hello everybody,
>
> First of all, I would like to thank all the attendees for their
> participation in the mini-summit that helped make the meeting a success.
>
> Here are my consolidated notes that cover both the Linaro Connect meeting
> and the ELC meeting. They're also available at
> http://www.ideasonboard.org/media/meetings/.
>

> Kernel Display and Video API Consolidation mini-summit at ELC 2012

[...]
> ***  Display Panel Drivers ***
>
>   Goal: Sharing display panel drivers between display controllers from
>   different vendors.
>
>   Panels are connected to the display controller through a standard bus
> with a control channel (DSI and eDP are two major such buses). Various
> vendors have created proprietary interfaces for panel drivers:
>
>   - TI on OMAP (drivers/video/omap2/displays).
>   - Samsung on Exynos (drivers/video/exynos).
>   - ST-Ericsson on MCDE
> (http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-
> kernel.git;a=tree;f=drivers/video/mcde)
>   - Renesas is working on a similar interface for SH Mobile.
>
>   HDMI-on-DSI transmitters, while not panels per-se, can be supported
> through the same API.
>
>   A Low level Linux Display Framework (https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/9/15/107)
>   has been proposed and overlaps with this topic.
>
>   For DSI, a possible abstraction level would be a DCS (Display Command
> Set) bus. Panels and/or HDMI-on-DSI transmitter drivers would be
> implemented as DCS drivers.
>
>   Action points:
>   - Marcus to work on a proposal for DCS-based panels (with Tomi Valkeinen
> and Morimoto-san).

It would also be interesting to see something similar for MIPI-DBI (type B for
me) [aka rfbi on omap], as most epaper displays use this to transmit data and
currently use half-baked interfaces.

So hopefully I'll be able to follow the discussion and can then try to convert
your findings to the dbi case.

Heiko