i915 modeset memory corruption issues? (Fwd: Oops in ext3_block_to_path.isra.40+0x26/0x11b)

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 09:47:46 PDT 2012

> Guys,
>  I don't know if these kinds of things have been forwarded to you, but
> there's apparently been several things like this going on - with the
> finger pointing to the i915 driver apparently clearing random memory.
> Often the end result seems to be list corruption or a NULL pointer
> dereference in the filesystem layer.

I think the hibernate problem isn't this problem.

The hibernate issue is known and I've been hoping someone from Intel
would run with debugging it, they have a big enough team that I don't
feel I can expend the personal time to look into it.

Maybe Keith can push someone or maybe I just refuse pull requests
until one with a fix appears.

The latest thinking on the hibernate issues is kernel one sets up an
fbcon, hibernate restores the old memory and the GTT still points at
the pages,
then something writes to the console and overwrites real memory., just
a working theory, nobody has proven it yet.

Dave.