[ANNOUNCE] kmscon: Lazy-web's DRM based terminal emulator

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Wed Mar 28 10:30:20 PDT 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:57:29 +0200
David Herrmann <dh.herrmann at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Motivated by Jesse's letter to the lazyweb [1] I worked on a kmscon
> program. It provides a
> terminal-emulator similar to the in-kernel terminal-emulator based on
> DRM. It is written
> from scratch and needs as external dependencies only mesa (libdrm,
> libgbm, libEGL, libGLESv2),
> udev, xproto (build-time dep), libxkbcommon, freetype2 and currently
> glib (only for unicode support).
> It uses a very recent version of libxkbcommon but it should be easy to
> fix ./src/kbd_xkb.c if
> you use an older version (or use --disable-xkbcommon to use a very
> basic keyboard handler).

Awesome!  Now get the distros to pick this up and turn off CONFIG_VT! :)

Ville's comment about a texture atlas is a good one, if nothing else I
think it should improve cache behavior.

But it may be better to just do the font rendering with the CPU anyway
(though cairo-gl is supposedly getting better), and leave the GL for
transition effects and such.