GPU lockup dumping

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed May 23 02:27:39 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:28 PM,  <j.glisse at gmail.com> wrote:
> So here is improved patchset, where i splited ground work necessary
> for the dumping into their own patch. The debugfs improvement could
> probably be usefull to intel instead of having i915 have it's own
> debugfs file stuff.
>
> The lockup dumping public api have been move into radeon_drm.h
>
> Stressing the fact again that dump are self contained ie they have
> all the data needed to be replayed (vertex, indices, shader, texture,
> ...).
>
> Would really like to get this into 3.5, the new API is pretty much
> straightforward and userspace tools can easily be made to convert
> it to other format. The change to the driver is self contained.

I really don't like introducing this at this stage into 3.5,

I'd really like a good review of the API and what information we provide
along with how extensible it is.

I'm still not convinced replay is what we want in the field, I know its what
*you* want, but I think apitrace stuff in userspace pretty much covers
the replaying situation. So I'd have to look at this and see how easy
it makes disecting command streams etc.

Dave.