[3.2.y] drm/i915: add Ivy Bridge GT2 Server entries

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Sun Oct 7 08:29:20 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-10-07 at 15:11 +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 15:01:17 +0100, Ben Hutchings <ben at decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 03:24 -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> > > Hi Ben,
> > >
> > > Please consider
> > >
> > >   cc22a938fc1d drm/i915: add Ivy Bridge GT2 Server entries, 2012-03-29
> > >
> > > for application to the 3.2.y tree.  It adds a PCI id to the i915
> > > driver, making kms work.  It was applied during the 3.4-rc2 cycle, so
> > > newer stable kernels don't need it.
> > >
> > > Maik Zumstrull tried it[1] on top of 3.2.30 and found it to work ok
> > > (thanks!).
> > >
> > > Note that pre-2.4.34 versions of libdrm don't cope well with that
> > > card, with or without this patch:
> > [...]
> > >  - with this patch, and with libdrm lacking 2.4.34~22 and 2.4.38~10,
> > >    X freezes at startup.
> > >
> > > "No regressions" means you probably shouldn't take this patch without
> > > a safety to work around the old X userspace,
> > [...]
> >
> > Then this workaround is also required in mainline.  And once that's
> > done, I can take both patches.
>
> The bugs Jonathan mentions are both in userspace packages; not
> recognising the existence of Bromlow, and then misprogramming it.

Yes, I understand that.

> There
> are no other kernel patches required specifically for this chipset,
> afaik.

If upgrading the kernel currently triggers a (more) serious bug in
typical userland then the kernel should work around that.  If I've
misunderstood, and the userland behaviour is roughly equally broken with
or without this change, then I'll be happy to take it.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?