[RFC 00/11] atomic pageflip v3

Rob Clark rob at ti.com
Fri Oct 12 17:58:21 PDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Rob Clark <rob.clark at linaro.org> wrote:
> [...]
>        obj->set_property(obj, state, prop, value);
>     if (dev->atomic_check(state))
>        dev->atomic_commit(state, event);
>     dev->atomic_end(state);
>
> The global driver state token/object returned from .atomic_begin() is
> opaque from drm core perspective.  It somehow encapsulates the state
> of all crtc/plane/etc.  Inside the driver's different .set_property()
> fxns, this global state object gets mapped to per crtc/plane state
> objects.  Core drm helpers for dealing with common attributes (fb_id,
> crtc_x/y/w/h, etc) are provided.  (ie. drm_plane_set_property(),
> drm_plane_check_state(), etc.)   This is to avoid forcing each driver
> to duplicate code for setting common properties and sanity checking.
>
> After all the property updates have been passed to the driver via
> .set_property() calls, .atomic_check() is called.  This should check
> all the modified crtc/plane's (using drm_{plane,crtc}_check_state()
> for common check), and do any needed global sanity checks for the hw
> (ie. can this combination of planes meet hw bandwidth limitations,
> etc).
>
> For ioctls with a 'test' flag, the .atomic_commit() step might be
> skipped if userspace is only testing the new configuration.  In either
> case, .atomic_commit() is only called if .atomic_check() succeeds, so
> at this point it is already known that the new configuration is
> "good", so .atomic_commit() should really only fail for catastrophic
> things (unable to allocate memory, hardware is on fire, etc).
>
> The .atomic_end() is called at the end if the driver needs to do some
> cleanup.
>
> ------
>
> The intention is for this to also simplify atomic-modeset, by
> providing some of the necessary infrastructure (object property types,
> signed property values, and property's whose usespace visible values
> automatically tracks the object state which is either committed or
> discarded depending on whether the state change was committed to hw
> or not) which will also be needed for atomic-modeset.
>
> So far, I've only updated omapdrm to the new APIs, as a proof of
> concept.  Only a few drivers support drm plane, so I expect the
> updates to convert drm-plane to properties should not be so hard.
> Possibly for crtc/pageflip we might need to have a transition period
> where we still support crtc->page_flip() code path until all drivers
> are updated.
>
> My complete branch is here:
>
>   https://github.com/robclark/kernel-omap4/commits/drm_nuclear-2
>   git://github.com/robclark/kernel-omap4.git drm_nuclear-2
>
> v1: original RFC
> v2: I don't remember
> v3: don't remove .page_flip(), .update_plane(), etc.  These are still
>     used for drivers that don't implement the atomic functions, to
>     allow for a transition period
>
> Note that I haven't changed the format of the atomic-pageflip ioctl
> itself since the last patchset.  At this point I'm more interested in

Note, for the next version of this series, I was planning to update
all the other drivers to compile again, so update for new property fxn
prototypes, and crtc->fb to crtc->state->fb, etc.  But that will touch
a lot of code.  So if anyone has some major KMS changes in progress in
their driver that I should base on top of to minimize conflicts later,
let me know.

BR,
-R