buggy/weird behavior in ttm

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Mon Oct 15 11:40:57 PDT 2012

On 10/15/2012 05:37 PM, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> Op 15-10-12 14:27, Thomas Hellstrom schreef:

>>> Lockdep works on classes of lock, not necessarily individual locks.
>>>
>>> Doing 2 bo_reserve's of any bo would count as possible deadlock, no matter if you
>>> always take them in a certain order or not.
>> So you mean that if I bo_reserve A and then bo_reserve B (which is used only when binding A to the GPU), lockdep will complain even if nobody ever bo_reserves B before A? That will make it impossible to use BOs as page tables for GPU binding for example.
> As far as I tell can nobody does it like that, page tables are simply initialized on channel
> creation, pinned in memory and kept like that while the host serializes with their own vm locking.

I don't think the fact that nobody's using a feature yet is a valid
argument to say it will never be used.
With that argument a lot of code could go away. Including reservation
objects... ;)

Reserving multiple buffer objects in a pre-determined order is a
perfectly valid thing to do. For example an
execbuf implementation could ditch the ticketed reserve and instead do a
quick sort of the buffer objects
in pointer value order. And FWIW vmware have a couple of patches pending
for a future "hardware" revision
that implement GPU bind using buffer objects for page tables; the code
becomes neat and we can use
the delayed delete mechanism to avoid stalling at unbind time.

So from my pow, if lockdep fails to handle that situation, the lockdep
implementation is incomplete.

>>> To make multi-object reservation work, the fix is to add a ticket "lock" of which all the
>>> reservation objects are a nested lock of. Since in this case the ticket lock would prevent
>>> deadlocks, this is acceptable.  Having 2 ticket 'locks' at the same time would count as
>>> deadlock, rightfully. If you hold a reservation from a ticket, then try to reserve without
>>> a ticket, it counts as deadlock too. See below for some examples I was using to test.
>> But if a ticket lock can be used to abstract a locking sequence that we know will never deadlock,
>> why can't we abstract locking from a list with atomic list removal with another "lock", and make sure we get the order right between them?
> No, see the test below, lockdep won't be fooled by your diversions that easily!! :-)

It's not a diversion, it's an attempt to abstract a valid locking scenario.

I think you got me wrong. In the analogy of mutex_lock_nested(), (see
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/lockdep-design.txt

line 153

enum reservation_class {
     RES_TICKET,