[RFC 0/5] Generic panel framework

Inki Dae inki.dae at samsung.com
Sat Oct 20 06:10:17 PDT 2012

Hi Laurent. sorry for being late.

2012/8/17 Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com>:
> [...]
> acquire regulator or clock resources, is that the panel can use resources
> provided by the display driver. For instance a panel can be a child of the DBI
> or DSI bus controlled by the display device, or use a clock provided by that
> device. We can't defer the display device probe until the panel is registered
> and also defer the panel device probe until the display is registered. As
> most display drivers need to handle output devices hotplug (HDMI monitors for
> instance), handling panel through a notification system seemed to be the
> easiest solution.
>
> Note that this brings a different issue after registration, as display and
> panel drivers would take a reference to each other. Those circular references
> would make driver unloading impossible. I haven't found a good solution for
> that problem yet (hence the RFC state of those patches), and I would
> appreciate your input here. This might also be a hint that the framework
> design is wrong to start with. I guess I can't get everything right on the
> first try ;-)
>
> Getting hold of the panel is the most complex part. Once done, display drivers
> can call abstract operations provided by panel drivers to control the panel
> operation. These patches implement three of those operations (enable, start
> transfer and get modes). More operations will be needed, and those three
> operations will likely get modified during review. Most of the panels on
> devices I own are dumb panels with no control bus, and are thus not the best
> candidates to design a framework that needs to take complex panels' needs into
> account.
>
> In addition to the generic panel core, I've implemented MIPI DBI (Display Bus
> Interface, a parallel bus for panels that supports read/write transfers of
> commands and data) bus support, as well as three panel drivers (dummy panels
> with no control bus, and Renesas R61505- and R61517-based panels, both using
> DBI as their control bus). Only the dummy panel driver has been tested as I
> lack hardware for the two other drivers.
>
> I will appreciate all reviews, comments, criticisms, ideas, remarks, ... If
> you can find a clever way to solve the cyclic references issue described above
> I'll buy you a beer at the next conference we will both attend. If you think
> the proposed solution is too complex, or too simple, I'm all ears. I
> personally already feel that we might need something even more generic to
> support other kinds of external devices connected to display controllers, such
> as external DSI to HDMI converters for instance. Some kind of video entity
> exposing abstract operations like the panels do would make sense, in which
> case panels would "inherit" from that video entity.
>
> Speaking of conferences, I will attend the KS/LPC in San Diego in a bit more
> than a week, and would be happy to discuss this topic face to face there.

how about using 'buses' directory instead of 'panel' and adding
'panel' under that like below?
video/buess: display bus frameworks such as MIPI-DBI/DSI and eDP are placed.
video/buess/panel: panel drivers based on display bus-based drivers are placed.

I think MIPI-DBI(Display Bus Interface)/DSI(Display Serial Interface)
and eDP are the bus interfaces for display controllers such as
DISC(OMAP SoC) and FIMC(Exynos SoC).

Thanks,
Inki Dae