drm/vmwgfx: add MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE so vmwgfx loads at boot

Jakob Bornecrantz wallbraker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 07:33:00 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com> wrote:
> Dave - I couldn't find this patch in your git repo at
> git://people.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux in the drm-next or drm-fixes
> branches.
>
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/1379071/
>
> It appears to fix a real problem for Mac users -
> http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1039157. See
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+source/linux/+bug/1039157/comments/31
> for confirmation.

Thanks, I was going to point out that Dave had already fix this, but it seem
you already knew about that. There is a companion patch along side with
the one mentioned.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-August/027124.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-August/027125.html

I recommend applying both and turning the config to yes (as long as you
have the kms enabled xf86-video-vmware driver installed). I RB:ed them
both along with the dumb ioctl interface here:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2012-August/027139.html

> I think it should also be 'Cc: stable at vger.kernel.org'. It applies as
> far back as 2.6.32 with minor context differences.
>
> rtg

Its probably safe, but it could mean that the driver gets loaded on
distros, where in the past it hasn't tho that should be safe.

Cheers, Jakob.