xserver-xorg-video-radeon 6.14.4: X has constant 10 % CPU usage

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Sep 11 05:55:23 PDT 2012

On Die, 2012-09-11 at 14:42 +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:

> using Debian Sid/unstable with the awesome 3.4.13-1 window manager and
> Evolution 3.4.3-1, htop shows X to constantly use 10 % of the CPU.
> Closing Evolution the usage goes back to more or less 0 %.

I'm not seeing this. Is there something in your Evolution window(s) that
is constantly repainting, e.g. a spinner in the status bar, a blinking
cursor, ... ?

> Could somebody please tell me what component (X driver, DRM, Evolution,
> Cairo, …) to investigate and how?

I'd focus on profiling the X server, making sure the profiles show
symbols, ideally with call graphs. sysprof or perf might work better for
this than oprofile.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com