[RFC 0/9] nuclear pageflip

Rob Clark rob at ti.com
Wed Sep 12 08:23:48 PDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Ville Syrjälä
<ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 09:42:27AM -0500, Rob Clark wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Ville Syrjälä
>> <ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com> wrote:

>> > It won't be truly atomic unless they are vsync locked. But anyways more
>> > buffers can be used to solve the performance problem. But that's a
>> > separate issue and in that case it doesn't really matter whether you
>> > issue separate ioctls for each crtc.
>>
>> that was basically my thinking.. separate ioctls for each crtc.  The
>> way my branch works currently, you can do this.  A page-flip on crtc
>> #2 won't care that there is still a flip pending on crtc #1.
>>
>> I guess that doesn't strictly guarantee that the two pageflips happen
>> at the exact same time, but unless you have some way to vsync lock the
>> two displays, I don't think that is possible anyways.
>
> Sure you need hardware to keep the pipes in sync.
>
>> So I'm not
>> really sure it is worth over-complicating the ioctl to support two
>> crtc's. The error checking in case a vsync is still pending is much
>> easier in the driver if you know the crtc up-front at the
>> atomic_begin() point.  Which is why I prefer to pass the crtc_id as a
>> field in the ioctl.
>
> Doing such checks in atomic_begin() is way too early. Unless you want
> to block/return immediately if there's a pending flip.

I want to return -EBUSY immediately if there is a pending flip.

> I want to allow user space to force feed the driver with flips at
> speeds greater than the display refresh. The last frame to finish
> rendering before the vblank is the one that should end up on the
> screen. That way you can do tear-free triple buffering without
> throttling to screen refresh, which is great for benchmarks. It's
> also a nice way to support cases where you want to throttle to a
> 60 Hz display, but you still want to clone the content to say a
> 24 or 30 Hz display.

Hmm, I still think that userspace should handle this.

Keeping the existing semantics of -EBUSY when there is a pending flip
makes it easier to implement legacy page_flip on top of the atomic
APIs so the driver doesn't have to care about the difference.  I don't
really see the problem w/ userspace dropping frames (depending on egl
swap-interval) if there is still a pending page-flip.

BR,
-R