[Intel-gfx] [RFC] Stereo 3D modes support

Lespiau, Damien damien.lespiau at intel.com
Thu Sep 13 06:02:35 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:47:12 +0100, Damien Lespiau <damien.lespiau at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This series introduces stereo 3D modes support and is split in 3 chunks:
>>
>> 1. 3 kernel patches to parse the 3D_present flag of the HDMI CEA vendor block,
>>    to expose 3D formats flags in modes and to add a new property on connectors
>>    supporting stereo 3D,
>
> I'm not convinced by the approach of using a stereo mode flag as a
> connector property for the simple reason that property has different
> lifetimes to the associated mode and userspace needs some form of
> synchronisation in order to be able to switch stereo modes on the fly
> without corruption.

That's something that makes me feel bit uneasy as well, it seems that
the stereo format is really something associated with a mode. Note
that the set_property() only stores the new value and it's taken into
account the next time a mode is set.
I'm not quite sure how to improve on this. The alternatives I can
think about would break the current user space.

--
Damien