-next trees

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:04:43 PDT 2012

On 09/26/2012 12:00 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-09-25 at 13:47 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
>>
>> 1.  The display (LG L246WP) is confused by *any* InfoFrames.
>
> If this is still the case after applying:
>
> commit adf00b26d18e1b3570451296e03bcb20e4798cdd
> Author: Paulo Zanoni <paulo.r.zanoni at intel.com>
> Date:   Tue Sep 25 13:23:34 2012 -0300
>
>      drm/i915: make sure we write all the DIP data bytes
>
> Then I suspect I'm compelled to agree that we need a quirk to forcibly
> disable InfoFrames entirely.  I don't like to be difficult about this,
> but the HDMI spec is quite clear that sinks _must_ accept InfoFrames
> defined in either the CEA or HDMI specs, so if we're seeing that class
> of failure I tend to strongly suspect our drivers first.

I just tested with that patch applied, and the problem still exists, so
consider yourself compelled.

Unless you object, I will go ahead and create a patch series that does
only:

- user-defined EDID quirks
- DISABLE_INFOFRAMES quirk
- DISABLE_INFOFRAMES quirk for LG L246WP

(I will specifically *not* address the audio issue in this series.)

>> 3.  drm_detect_monitor_audio is returning true for the LG L246WP, which
>>       definitely doesn't have any audio capabilities.  This may be a bug
>>       in the display's EDID, or it may be a parsing error.
>
> The display is definitely a filthy liar then:
>
>    Audio data block
>      Linear PCM, max channels 1
>      Supported sample rates (kHz): 48 44.1 32
>      Supported sample sizes (bits): 24 20 16
>
> Hooray for hardware.  Not sure what the logic should be for whether to
> send HDMI audio or not, I'll re-read the appropriate scrolls.

Well, if hardware didn't suck we wouldn't need quirks.

If you'd like, I can generate a second patch series that adds some or
all of:

- NO_AUDIO quirk
- drm_monitor_has_hdmi_audio() function
- NO_AUDIO quirk for LG L246WP (kind of redundant if no InfoFrames are
   being sent anyway, but still technically accurate)

Let me know if you'd like any or all of those.

Thanks!