radeonsi tiling dilema

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Wed Apr 3 08:48:15 PDT 2013

Am 03.04.2013 15:57, schrieb Jerome Glisse:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 5:37 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
>
>> On Die, 2013-04-02 at 14:13 -0400, Jerome Glisse wrote:
>>> So i am facing a dilema regarding tiling on radeonsi. Given that we
>>> now have a fixed table of tiling mode this put more pressure on the
>>> kernel userspace api. I see either 2 solutions.
>>>

>>> Enforce kernel to set at fixed index in the table best tiling mode for
>>> given gpu for given format, such as DEPTH32_2D_4AA at index 4, or
>>> COLOR_SCANOUT_2D at index 13 ... that way kernel can still adapt the
>>> tile mode array value. Note that this match the design behind the tile
>>> mode index being that there is a limited number of useful tile mode
>>> combination and for each surface format  (depth/color/macro
>>> tile/micro/tile) there is a best one.
>>>

>>> Second solution is to add an ioctl to compute mipmap information in
>>> kernel (pitch alignment slice size ...) based on format, size of the
>>> surface.
>>>

>>> Some might argue that we could just export the table content to
>>> userspace, but that would loose information and possibly froze the
>>> tile mode table forever as API. The information we loose is what index
>>> match to prefered surface format/type combination. And the tile mode
>>> might be considered API as if kernel ever change what userspace expect
>>> then we might break some userspace.
>> Maybe I'm missing the problem, but if libdrm_radeon were to get the
>> tiling mode index chosen by radeonsi, and could retrieve the tiling
>> parameters for each index from the kernel, it should be able to
>> calculate things properly, shouldn't it?
>>

> Let's not discuss about who/where the index is pick. No matter where it
> happens the question is do we want to hardcode tile index and make it api
> or do we want to hide it behind symbolic name allowing change in tile array
> (given that right now 4 value are already frozen). You can look at my
> kernel patch to see what i mean.

Just as a side node: If I understood it correctly the hardware isn't
completely capable to use those indexes interchangeable, e.g. only a
certain range can be used for the DB, and another rule matters for AA
indexes etc...

I don't know those rules exactly and I don't know how strict they are,
but as far as I understood it even the closed source driver didn't need
to mess with it. So I'm something like 90% sure that hardcoding them is
ok, but well on the other hand it just doesn't feels good to do so...

Christian.