UVD status on loongson 3a platform

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Fri Apr 19 08:34:28 PDT 2013

Am 19.04.2013 10:51, schrieb Chen Jie:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently, the uvd supporting is released, and we've tried it on
> loongson 3a platform.
> Brief introduction about loongson 3a, it's a MIPS III compatible, 4
> cores processor.
>
> More details about the platform [1]:
> * The Board: RS780E + SB710 chipset, with an AMD radeon HD6570 video card
> * The kernel is 64bits(n64 ABI), and the userland is 32bits(o32 ABI)
> * OS: LOonux 3.3.6 [2] + LTP-uvd-installer-20130419.bin [3]
> ** kernel: 3.9 + uvd related patches
> ** mesa: git master version (d0e9aa)
>
> We tried three video samples:
> * big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov
> (http://mirrorblender.top-ix.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov)
> * Sintel.2010.2K.x264-VODO.mp4
> (http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/software/UVD-debug/Sintel.2010.2K.x264-VODO.mp4)
> * test.avi (http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/software/UVD-debug/test.avi)
>
> For big_buck_bunny_1080p_h264.mov, the playback is not very fluent at
> the beginning, and it has some video mosaic. We've recorded a video
> for it, see http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/software/UVD-debug/bbb-1080P.mp4
> For video mosaic, what could it be caused by?

That looks like a known problem with the semaphores and also happens on
X86, it gets worse when you have a slower CPU and/or less bandwidth
cause then UVD needs to block on the DMA to wait till everything is in
place. I'm going to try to release the workaround for it.

> For Sintel.2010.2K.x264-VODO.mp4, it has a very long wait for the first frame.
> We've also recorded a video for it, see
> http://dev.lemote.com/files/upload/software/UVD-debug/sintel.2K.mp4
> Any idea about the long wait for the first frame?

No idea, that also happens on X86, but the wait is actually not as long.
If I'm not completely wrong it seems to be mplayer who is causing this
startup delay.

> For test.avi(video: ITU H.264, 1920x1080), it's playing back
> perfectly! Thanks for the effort on UVD!
>
> In all of these tests, the CPU usage is around 50%, and all three
> video samples play well on X86 platform with the same video card.
>
> BTW, 785G also has UVD2.0, is it supported currently? Or will it be
> supported in the near future?

No, as Alex already stated that chip is quite different to the other UVD
generations, and we are currently looking into releasing code for it,
but can't promise anything.

Cheers,
Christian.