Disabling polling in drm_helper

Mike Verstegen mikev at athletesperformance.com
Tue Apr 23 11:47:31 PDT 2013

I'd be glad to test, but that may be a bit over my skill level.  How could I help with testing drm-next?
In my original message, I forgot to include that this is a Centos 6.4 system with a 3.5.3 kernel.

> > One band-aid for this trouble is to disable the polling in the
> > irq_event # echo "N" > /sys/module/drm_kms_helper/parameters/poll
> >
> > That quiets down the kworker threads. Good
> >
> > To make this survive across boots, I added the following to
> > /etc/modprobe/local.conf options drm_kms_helper poll=N
> >
> > On reboot, the poll is still enabled
> > [root at localhost ~]# cat /sys/module/drm_kms_helper/parameters/poll
> > Questions:
> > - Am I using "options drm_kms_helper poll=N" correctly
> > - Is there a better way to have this option set to false on initialization?
>
> You probably need to rebuild your initrd with your distro tools since
> drm_kms_helper is loaded really early.

Great suggestion and a good learning point for me. I rebuilt the initramfs and the option is now recognized at boot.

Thanks

Mike