[Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC 0/1] drm/pl111: Initial drm/kms driver for pl111

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 07:14:35 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Lucas Stach <l.stach at pengutronix.de> wrote:
> [...]
>> prefer buffers to be passed around by dma_buf fd, but we still need to
>> support DRI2 and will do for some time I expect.

>> > I suspect the display controllers might frequently benefit if the
>> > pitch is aligned to AXI burst length too..
>>
>> If the display controller is going to be reading from linear memory
>> I don't think it will make much difference - you'll just get an extra
>> 1-2 bus transactions per scanline. With a tile-based GPU like Mali,
>> you get those extra transactions per _tile_ scan-line and as such,
>> the overhead is more pronounced.

>> > Well, I suppose you could get min_pitch_alignment from devicetree, or
>> > something like this..
>> >
>> > In the end, the easy solution is just to make the display allocate to
>> > the worst-case pitch alignment.  In the early days of dma-buf
>> > discussions, we kicked around the idea of negotiating or
>> > programatically describing the constraints, but that didn't really
>> > seem like a bounded problem.
>>
>> Yeah - I was around for some of those discussions and agree it's not
>> really an easy problem to solve.

>> > yes, this was discussed.  This is different from pitch/format/size
>> > constraints.. it is really just a placement constraint (ie. where do
>> > the physical pages go).  IIRC the conclusion was to use a dummy
>> > devices with it's own CMA pool for attaching the Y vs UV buffers.

>> > that was part of the reason to punt this problem to userspace ;-)
>> >
>> > In practice, the kernel drivers doesn't usually know too much about
>> > the dimensions/format/etc.. that is really userspace level knowledge.
>> > There are a few exceptions when the kernel needs to know how to setup
>> > GTT/etc for tiled buffers, but normally this sort of information is up
>> > at the next level up (userspace, and drm_framebuffer in case of
>> > scanout).  Userspace media frameworks like GStreamer already have a
>> > concept of format/caps negotiation.  For non-display<->gpu sharing, I
>> > think this is probably where this sort of constraint negotiation
>> > should be handled.
>>
>> I agree that user-space will know which devices will access the buffer
>> and thus can figure out at least a common pixel format. Though I'm not
>> so sure userspace can figure out more low-level details like alignment
>> and placement in physical memory, etc.
>>
>> Anyway, assuming user-space can figure out how a buffer should be
>> stored in memory, how does it indicate this to a kernel driver and
>> actually allocate it? Which ioctl on which device does user-space
>> call, with what parameters? Are you suggesting using something like
>> ION which exposes the low-level details of how buffers are laid out in
>> physical memory to userspace? If not, what?
>>

> I strongly disagree with exposing low-level hardware details like tiling
> to userspace. If we have to do the negotiation of those things in
> userspace we will end up with having to pipe those information through
> things like the wayland protocol. I don't see how this could ever be

well, unless userspace mmap's via a de-tiling gart type thing, I don't
think tiling can be invisible to userspace.

But if two GPU's have some overlap in supportable tiled formats, and
you have one gpu doing app and one doing compositor, and you want to
use tiling for the shared buffers, you need something in the wayland
protocol to figure out what the common supported formats are between
the two sides.  I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to add a
standardized (cross-driver) format-negotiation protocol, and in the
absence of that fallback to non tiled format for shared buffers.

> I would rather see kernel drivers negotiating those things at dmabuf
> attach time in way invisible to userspace. I agree that this negotiation
> thing isn't easy to get right for the plethora of different hardware
> constraints we see today, but I would rather see this in-kernel, where
> we have the chance to fix things up if needed, than in a fixed userspace
> interface.

Well, if you can think of a sane way to add that to dev->dma_params,
and if it isn't visible if userspace mmap's a buffer, then we could
handle that in the kernel.  But I don't think that will be the case.

BR,
-R