[Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC 0/1] drm/pl111: Initial drm/kms driver for pl111

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 10:56:46 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Tom Cooksey <tom.cooksey at arm.com> wrote:

>> > I think it's more than physically contiguous or not.
>> >
>> > For example, it can be more efficient to use large page sizes on
>> > devices with IOMMUs to reduce TLB traffic. I think the size and even
>> > the availability of large pages varies between different IOMMUs.
>>
>> sure.. but I suppose if we can spiff out dma_params to express "I need
>> contiguous", perhaps we can add some way to express "I prefer
>> as-contiguous-as-possible".. either way, this is about where the pages
>> are placed, and not about the layout of pixels within the page, so
>> should be in kernel.  It's something that is missing, but I believe
>> that it belongs in dma_params and hidden behind dma_alloc_*() for
>> simple drivers.
>
> Thinking about it, isn't this more a property of the IOMMU? I mean,
> are there any cases where an IOMMU had a large page mode but you
> wouldn't want to use it? So when allocating the memory, you'd have to
> take into account not just the constraints of the devices themselves,
> but also of any IOMMUs any of the device sit behind?
>

>> > There's also the issue of buffer stride alignment. As I say, if the
>> > buffer is to be written by a tile-based GPU like Mali, it's more
>> > efficient if the buffer's stride is aligned to the max AXI bus burst
>> > length. Though I guess a buffer stride only makes sense as a concept
>> > when interpreting the data as a linear-layout 2D image, so perhaps
>> > belongs in user-space along with format negotiation?
>> >

>> Yeah.. this isn't about where the pages go, but about the arrangement
>> within a page.
>>
>> And, well, except for hw that supports the same tiling (or
>> compressed-fb) in display+gpu, you probably aren't sharing tiled
>> buffers.
>
> You'd only want to share a buffer between devices if those devices can
> understand the same pixel format. That pixel format can't be device-
> specific or opaque, it has to be explicit. I think drm_fourcc.h is
> what defines all the possible pixel formats. This is the enum I used
> in EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import at least. So if we get to the point
> where multiple devices can understand a tiled or compressed format, I
> assume we could just add that format to drm_fourcc.h and possibly
> v4l2's v4l2_mbus_pixelcode enum in v4l2-mediabus.h.
>
> For user-space to negotiate a common pixel format and now stride
> alignment, I guess it will obviously need a way to query what pixel
> formats a device supports and what its stride alignment requirements
> are.
>
> I don't know v4l2 very well, but it certainly seems the pixel format
> can be queried using V4L2_SUBDEV_FORMAT_TRY when attempting to set
> a particular format. I couldn't however find a way to retrieve a list
> of supported formats - it seems the mechanism is to try out each
> format in turn to determine if it is supported. Is that right?
>
> There doesn't however seem a way to query what stride constraints a
> V4l2 device might have. Does HW abstracted by v4l2 typically have
> [...]

In the early days, there was a MUX to switch the displays between the
two GPUs, but most modern systems are MUX-less and the dGPU is either
connected to no displays or in some cases the local panel is attached
to the integrated GPU and the external displays are connected to the
dGPU.

In the MUX-less case, the dGPU can be used to render, and then the
result is copied to the integrated GPU for display.

Alex