DPM on Radeon HD6570

Grigori Goronzy greg at chown.ath.cx
Wed Aug 21 09:30:57 PDT 2013

On 21.08.2013 16:31, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read this Phoronix article:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_hd6000_dpm&num=1
>
> Congrats to the progress achieved so far.
>
> However, I can see an interesting deviation for HD6570 from the
> observed trend of other chips.
>
> r600g can reach 80+ percent of the performance of Catalyst
> for most HD6xxx chips except for 6570, where the performance
> is around 10-20 percent.
>
> Do you have a theory about this difference?
> Maybe DPM doesn't work as intended on HD6570?

There are some ways to check if DPM functions correctly.

The kernel log (dmesg) contains a dump of the PowerPlay tables, search
for "power state". It's possible that tables aren't read correctly or
flaky to start with.

You can also monitor the precise runtime power level (clocks and
voltages) of the GPU with /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/radeon_pm_info. Maybe
dynamic switching does not work for some reason, and the GPU always uses
the lowest level even under load. Just run some demanding OpenGL app and
check that file to see if the GPU switches the power level.

You should probably file a bug on bugs.freedesktop.org (product DRI,
component DRM/radeon) and attach dmesg output and anything else that
might be useful.

Best regards
Grigori