[Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC 0/4] Atomic Display Framework

Damien Lespiau damien.lespiau at intel.com
Thu Aug 29 01:52:56 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 10:58:51AM +0300, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> After that we need to figure out how we can expose them to userspace w/o
> risking breaking stuff too much. Maybe a new ioctl to enumerate private
> planes only? And the maybe only accept direct use of private planes via
> the atomic API, not through the old setplane API. Or if people want to
> use setplane we could add a flag there indicating that the user is aware
> of private planes and wants to use them.

FWIW, in my yet to be published new stereo 3D series, I added a
DRM_SET_CAP ioctl for userspace to tell DRM to expose some stereo bits
in the mode structure.

Making it possible for the primary plane to be exposed as a drm_plane
could be the second user of this ioctl (well, assuming people are fine
with this new ioctl, a whole different story, but now that'd be 2 users
of it).

--
Damien