TTM's role in score-based eviction

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Mon Dec 9 11:32:54 PST 2013

On 12/09/2013 06:28 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 11:45:03AM -0500, Jerome Glisse wrote:

>>> You're correct it COULD be done like that, but that's a nasty workaround.
>>> Simply assign a priority to each buffer, then modify ttm_bo_add_to_lru,
>>> ttm_bo_swapout, ttm_mem_evict_first and be done with it.
>>>
>>> Memory management is exactly the kind of thing that should be done in TTM,
>>> so why have something 'generic' for something that's little more than a renamed priority queue?
>> The end score and use of the score for placement decision be done in ttm
>> but the whole score computation and heuristic related to it should not.
> btw another thing to look at is the eviction roaster in drm_mm. It's
> completely standalone, the only thing it requires is that you have a
> deterministic order to add objects to it and unroll them (but that can
> always be solved by putting objects on a temporary list).
>
> That way if you have some big objects and a highly fragmented vram you
> don't end up eviction a big load of data, but just a perfectly-sized hole.
> All the scanning is linar, but ime with the implementation in i915.ko
> that's not a real-world issue really. The drm_mm roaster supports all the
> same features as the normal block allocator, so range-restricted
> allocations (and everything else) also works. See evict_something in
> i915_gem_eviction.c for how it all works (yeah, no docs but writing those
> for drm_mm.c is on my todo somewhere).
> -Daniel

The problem with combining this with TTM is that eviction by default
doesn't take place under a mutex, so multiple threads may be traversing
the LRU list more or less at the same time, evicting stuff.

However, when it comes to eviction, that's not really a behaviour we
need to preserve. It would, IMO, be OK to take a "big" per-memory-type
mutex around eviction, but then one would have to sort out how / whether
swapping and delayed destruction would need to wait on that mutex as
well....

/Thomas