The least I need to draw with OpenGL.

Pekka Paalanen pq at iki.fi
Fri Dec 13 11:45:00 PST 2013

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:13:47 +0300
Artsiom Anikeyenka <arty.anikey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, Pekka,
>
> Talking in scope of kmscube source code after Rob Clark. Is there
> a way to do the same using proprietary Nvidia (for example)
> drivers? Also I would really appreciate if you explained me what
> is kms (kernel mode setting) and how it's related (or not) to drm
> and proprietary video card drivers.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> P.S. If it's too time consuming to explain that maybe you can
> suggest me some good sources of info?

Hi,

Nvidia and Ati proprietary drivers do not implement what you need
on desktop systems. There is no way to use the gfx accel without
having an X server running and connecting to it. (Yet?)

As for the basics, maybe you can dig something out from these:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~marcheu/linuxgraphicsdrivers.pdf
(the source: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~marcheu/lgd/ )

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/IntroductoryCourse/

http://blog.mecheye.net/2012/06/the-linux-graphics-stack/

And from "the other side" of the kernel APIs, which is probably
not that interesting in this case:
http://free-electrons.com/kerneldoc/latest/DocBook/drm/index.html

I'm CC'ing dri-devel@ in case there are others interested, either
reading or providing new references, and to get this email
archived.

Cheers,
pq