Rendering when dropped master

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Fri Dec 20 01:55:34 PST 2013

On 12/20/2013 10:31 AM, Martin Peres wrote:
> On 20/12/2013 07:57, Thomas Hellstrom wrote:
>> So this is a potential issue that needs to be brought up sooner or
>> later:
>>
>> Let's say a client is authenticated by the current master.
>> Then the master drops, and we have a new master (fast user switching for
>> example).
>>
>> What's the status of the clients authenticated by old masters?
>> Should they be allowed to render and use memory resources or
>> shouldn't they?
>>
>> A typical example where this could pose a problem is where user 1 opens
>> a drm connection, authenticates itself and then drops master.
>> Then user 2 starts an X server and exposes all DRI contents to user 1?
>>
>> /Thomas
> I wouldn't worry about that since all clients should use render nodes
> instead.
> If you worry about this, help making the switch to them happen.

OK, so let's say user 1 opens a connection through a render node and
starts rendering using shared buffers.
Then we do a fast user switch, the render node ACL is updated and user 2
logs in.
What's stopping user 2 from accessing user 1's DRI content?

I haven't looked closely at what's actually allowed through render
nodes; perhaps buffer sharing using global names isn't?

/Thomas