[RFC v2 0/5] Common Display Framework

Marcus Lorentzon marcus.xm.lorentzon at stericsson.com
Fri Feb 8 04:43:32 PST 2013

On 02/08/2013 11:51 AM, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> On 2013-02-04 12:05, Marcus Lorentzon wrote:
>
>> As discussed at FOSDEM I will give DSI bus with full feature set a
>> try.
> Please do, but as a reminder I want to raise the issues I see with a DSI
> bus:
>
> - A device can be a child of only one bus. So if DSI is used only for
> video, the device is a child of, say, i2c bus, and thus there's no DSI
> bus. How to configure and use DSI in this case?
>
> - If DSI is used for both control and video, we have two separate APIs
> for the bus. What I mean here is that for the video-only case above, we
> need a video-only-API for DSI. This API should contain all necessary
> methods to configure DSI. But we need similar methods for the control
> API also.
>
> So, I hope you come up with some solution for this, but as I see it,
> it's easily the most simple and clear option to have one video_source
> style entity for the DSI bus itself, which is used for both control and
> video.

Thanks, it is not that I'm totally against the video source stuff. And I
share your concerns, none of the solutions are perfect. It just doesn't
feel right to create this dummy source "device" without investigating
the DSI bus route. But I will try to write up some history/problem
description and ask Greg KH for guidance. If he has a strong opinion
either way, there is not much more to discuss ;)

/BR
/Marcus