CDF meeting @FOSDEM report

Tomi Valkeinen tomi.valkeinen at ti.com
Thu Feb 14 01:35:46 PST 2013

On 2013-02-13 00:45, Stéphane Marchesin wrote:

> So, a part which is completely omitted in this thread is how to handle
> suspend/resume ordering. If you have multiple encoders which need to
> be turned on/off in a given order at suspend/resume, how do you handle
> that given the current scheme where they are just separate platform
> drivers in drivers/video?
>
> This problems occurs with drm/exynos in current 3.8 kernels for
> example. On that platform, the DP driver and the FIMD driver will
> suspend/resume in random order, and therefore fail resuming half the
> time. Is there something which could be done in CDF to address that?

I don't think we have a perfect solution for this, but I think we can
handle this by using PM notifiers, PM_SUSPEND_PREPARE and PM_POST_SUSPEND.

The code that manages the whole chain should register to those
notifiers, and disable or enable the display devices accordingly. This
way the devices are enabled and disabled in the right order, and also
(hopefully) so that the control busses are operational.

 Tomi