thoughts on requiring multi-arch support for arm drm drivers?

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 07:08:34 PST 2013

One thing I've run into in the past when trying to make changes in drm
core, and Daniel Vetter has mentioned the same, is that it is a bit of
a pain to compile test things for the arm drivers that do not support
CONFIG_ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM.  I went through a while back and fixed up
the low hanging fruit (basically the drivers that just needed a
Kconfig change).  But, IIRC some of the backlight related code in
shmob had some non-trivial plat dependencies.  And I think when tegra
came in, it introduced some non-trivial plat dependencies.

What do others think about requiring multiarch or no arch dependencies
for new drivers, and cleaning up existing drivers.  Even if it is at
reduced functionality (like maybe #ifdef CONFIG_ARCH_SHMOBILE for some
of the backlight code in shmob) or doesn't even work but is just for
the purpose of being able to compile test the rest of the code?

Thoughts?

BR,
-R