i915-related and general system freezes with specific kernel config // IOMMU

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Sun Jan 20 13:52:49 PST 2013

Hi Daniel,

the patch does work, i.e., it turns off DMAR for the graphics card and
alleviates the freezes when loading i915/kms.

However, still seeing random machine freezes with it (being consistent with the
behavior I've experienced with intel_iommu=igfx_off).

The patch + forcing RWBF is working, too. Interestingly, this version didn't
randomly freeze yet, after more than 5 hours of uptime! I'll leave the box
running until tomorrow to make sure I did stick around long enough.

All those tested kernels were able to handle USB and PCI(e) devices.

I still have to test turning off IOMMU in general and Intel IOMMU specifically.
Will probably do this tomorrow.

Thank you so far! :)

Mihai