Best practice device tree design for display subsystems/DRM

Lucas Stach l.stach at pengutronix.de
Wed Jul 3 05:31:27 PDT 2013

Am Dienstag, den 02.07.2013, 18:46 -0700 schrieb Stéphane Marchesin:
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I think such an approach would lead to drm drivers which all parse their
> >> "super nodes" themselves and driver authors would become very creative
> >> how such a node should look like.
> >>
> >> Also this gets messy with i2c devices which are normally registered
> >> under their i2c bus masters. With the super node approach these would
> >> have to live under the super node, maybe with a phandle to the i2c bus
> >> master. This again probably leads to very SoC specific solutions. It
> >> also doesn't solve the problem that the i2c bus master needs to be
> >> registered by the time the DRM driver probes.
> >>
> >> On i.MX the IPU unit not only handles the display path but also the
> >> capture path. v4l2 begins to evolve an OF model in which each (sub)device
> >> has its natural position in the devicetree; the devices are then
> >> connected with phandles. I'm not sure how good this will work together
> >> with a super node approach.

> >> +1 for this solution, even if this means more work to get from the
> >> ground.
> >>
> >> Do we really need full hotplug support in the DRM API and Xorg? I mean
> >> it would really be nice if Xorg detected a newly registered device, but
> >> as a start it should be sufficient when Xorg detects what's there when
> >> it starts, no?
> >
> > Since fbdev and fbcon sit on top of drm to provide the console
> > currently I'd also expect some fun with them. How do I get a console
> > if I have no outputs at boot, but I have crtcs? do I just wait around
> > until an output appears.
> >
> > There are a number of issues with hotplugging encoders and connectors
> > at runtime, when really the SoC/board designer knows what it provides
> > and should be able to tell the driver in some fashion.
> >
> > The main problems when I played with hot adding eDP on Intel last
> > time, are we have grouping of crtc/encoder/connectors for multi-seat
> > future use, these groups need to be updated, and I think the other
> > issue was updating the possible_crtcs/possible_clones stuff. In theory
> > sending X a uevent will make it reload the list, and it mostly deals
> > with device hotplug since 1.14 when I added the USB hotplug support.
> >
> > I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but really it seems pointless where
> > the hardware is pretty much hardcoded, that DT can't represent that
> > and let the driver control the bring up ordering.
> >
> > Have you also considered how suspend/resume works in such a place,
> > where every driver is independent? The ChromeOS guys have bitched
> > before about the exynos driver which is has lots of sub-drivers, how
> > do you control the s/r ordering in a crazy system like that? I'd
> > prefer a central driver, otherwise there is too many moving parts.
>
> In my experience with exynos, having separate drivers creates a lot of
> pain at the interfaces and transitions:
>
> - on boot you need to make sure that those multiple drivers initialize
> [...]

sub-components of a DRM device between different SoCs. We don't want to
hardwire the code for a specific encoder into one DRM driver and
copy-paste things for the next SoC which comes around.

I think we should really differentiate between the Linux device core
mechanics and having small self contained drivers for sub-components. I
think we all agree on the point that we need some kind of control node
that represents the DRM device to userspace in the end. This control
node can do all the hard stuff like getting suspend/resume and other
order critical things right. We clearly don't want to rely on some
random Linux device core governed probe or suspend/resume order.

What we want is small self-contained drivers for the sub-components that
can be probed from the DT. Such a driver should not try to active it's
driven hardware on probe time, but rather just signal it's existence to
the control node. The control node can then (maybe at it's own open()
time) look at all the registered sub-components and build a output path
from them. Only at this point you try to active things so you can
exactly control the order from your control node.

This means introducing some generic interfaces for encoders, crtcs and
connectors, but hey this is just in-kernel API, so we don't have to get
this completely right on the first try.

Regards,
Lucas
--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Lucas Stach                 |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany | Phone: +49-5121-206917-5076 |