Best practice device tree design for display subsystems/DRM

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Thu Jul 4 02:23:05 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 11:10:35AM +0200, Sebastian Hesselbarth wrote:
> On 07/04/13 10:53, Sascha Hauer wrote:

> >>Sascha,
> >>
> >>that is what it is all about. You assume you a priori know what devices
> >>will be required for the componentized device to successfully output
> >>a video stream.
> >>
> >>We have shown setups where you don't know what is required. Cubox
> >>_needs_ lcd0 and hdmi-transmitter,
> >
> >Then your Cubox devicetree has a link (that's how they call it in v4l2,
> >a link doesn't necessarily is a direct connection but can have multiple
> >devices in it) between lcd0 and hdmi.
>
> I haven't looked up v4l2 "link" yet. But (a) if it is a separate node
> how is that different from the "super-node" we are talking about or (b)
> if it is a property, where do you put it?

Sorry, I should have explained this. The basic idea the v4l2 guys are
following is that they describe their hardware pipelines in the devicetree.

Each device can have ports which are connected via links. In the
devicetree a link basically becomes a phandle (a remote device will have
a phandle pointing back to the original device). For an overview have a
look at

Documentation/devicetree/bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt

With this you can describe the whole graph of devices you have in the
devicetree. The examples in this file have a path from a camera sensor
via a MIPI converter to a capture interface.

The difference to a supernode is that this approach describes the data
flow in the devicetree so that we can iterate over it to find links
between source and sink rather than relying on a list of subdevices to
be completed.

Sascha