Best practice device tree design for display subsystems/DRM

Russell King rmk at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri Jul 5 01:50:20 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 09:37:34AM +0100, Grant Likely wrote:
> Alternatively, you can have the same effect with a property or set of
> properties in the controller node that contains phandles to the
> required devices. That would provide the driver with the same
> information about which devices must be present.

How do you go from phandle to something-that-the-driver-for-that-device-
has-setup?

>From what I can see, you can go from phandle to OF node, but no further.

I'm guessing we'd need some kind of "registry" for sub-drivers with
these structures to register their devices OF node plus "shared" data
so that other drivers can find it.  "shared" data might be a
standardized operations struct or something similar to 'struct
device_driver' but for componentised devices.

--
Russell King