exynos-drm-next todo work.

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 16:31:23 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 01:48:15PM +0900, Inki Dae wrote:
>
>> > Related to HDMI sound support in Alsa, I have posted a working RFC
>> > "exynos-hdmi to CDF complaint display driver". It registers a separate
>> > sound card by registering hdmi audio codec dai and cpu-dai, as you
>> > mentioned. But there is a problem with this approach that I2S being the
>> > single cpu dai for HDMI and Speaker sound card, only one card can
>> > support playback at a time.
>
>> > I would like to work on this to provide a more refined solution.
>
>> Thanks. However, I think it's not good to use the CDF framework to interface
>> between ALSA SoC DAI driver and DRM HDMI driver. The purpose of the CDF
>> framework is to provide common interfaces to display bus drivers to Linux
>> framebuffer and DRM KMS based display controller drivers as long as I know.
>> So my opinion is to implement ALSA Soc DAI driver-it seems like possible to
>> use as is-based on a new common framework that the other can also use it.
>
> You guys really want to be discussing this on the ALSA list and CCing
> the ASoC maintainers...  I do note that OMAP and SH both have HDMI
> support in mainline, whatever they're doing seems like a good place to
> start.

I don't know about SH, but at least OMAP (and I've seen same on MSM
non-upstream driver, and I guess it is the same elsewhere), there end
up being some calls from audio driver to functions exported by the
display driver.  I guess there is probably some better way to do it
compared to how the existing drivers work.

BR,
-R