Exposing GPU information for userspace processes

Rhyland Klein rklein at nvidia.com
Tue Jul 9 14:45:55 PDT 2013

We are currently looking into exporting some information from the linux
kernel to userspace about the GPU. This information is specific per
board as the data can vary depending on the fuses burnt on the board.

Right now we are leaning towards adding sysfs properties to our existing
nodes to share this information.

Before we write up the patches and update our userspace apps to check
the new locations, we wanted to make sure there wasn't a more
accepted/proper way to export information already.

Right now for instance we want to export a property to say how many
pixel pipes there are. This could then be exported in something like:

/sys/bus/platform/drivers/gr3d/54180000.gr3d/num_pixel_pipes

Is this the best approach to take right now or is there another way we
should export this and similar HW specific information?

Thanks,

Rhyland

--
nvpublic