DT binding review for Armada display subsystem

Jean-Francois Moine moinejf at free.fr
Fri Jul 12 11:39:52 PDT 2013

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 12:44:28 -0400 (EDT)
Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Based on the outcomes of the "Best practice device tree design for display
> subsystems" discussion I have drafted a DT binding. Comments much appreciated.
>
> At a high level, it uses a "super node" as something for the driver to bind
> to, needed because there is no clear one device that controls all the
> others, and also to distinguish between the Armada 510 possible use cases
> of having one video card with two outputs, or two independent video cards.
> It uses node-to-node linking beyond that point, V4L2 style.
>
> I have some questions still:
>
> 1. What names does the Armada 510 datasheet give to the components? Below
>    I renamed the "LCD controllers" (which don't control LCDs on any of the
>    current target hardware) to "display controllers". For what we were
>    previously referring to as DCON, I renamed to "output selector". I would
>    like to match the docs.
>
>    Actually the output selector is not mentioned as per Sebastian's
>    suggestion, but I believe it would fit in the below design once the first
>    user comes along (e.g. it would slot in the graph between dcon0 and tda99x).
>
> 2. On that topic, what names does the Armada 510 datasheet give to the
>    available clocks? Lets make them match the docs.
>
> 3. What is the "remote" property in the video interfaces binding? Doesn't
>    seem to be documented. But I think I copied its usage style below.

Hi Daniel,

The Armada 510 spec is:

http://www.marvell.com/application-processors/armada-500/assets/Armada-510-Functional-Spec.pdf

> Marvell Armada Display Subsystem
>
> Design considerations
> ---------------------
>
> The display device that emerges from this subsystem is quite heavily
> componentized and the formation of the composite device will vary by SoC and
> by board. The DT binding is designed with this flexibility in mind.
>
> For example, there are 2 display controllers on the Armada 510.
> They could legitametely be used to form two independent video cards, or
> they could be combined into a single video card with two outputs, depending
> on board wiring and use case.
>
> As there is no clear component that controls the other components, especially
> when we wish to combine the two display controllers into one virtual device, we
> define a top-level "super node" that describes the basic composition of the
> overall display device. That node uses phandles to define the start of the
> graph of display components.
>
> In the bindings for the individual display components, phandle properties
> are used to represent direct, fixed links to other components. We use the
> port/endpoint abstraction from bindings/media/video-interfaces.txt to
> represent these links.
>

> display super node
> ------------------
>
> Required properties:
>  - compatible: "marvell,armada-display"
>  - marvell,video-devices : List of phandles to the display controllers that
>    form this composite device.
>
> Optional properties;
>  - reg: Memory address and size of a RAM allocation designated as graphics
>    memory
>  - linux,video-memory-size: If reg is not provided, this property defines
>    how much memory to cut out of regular available RAM to be used as graphics
>    memory.
>

> display-controller node
> -----------------------
>
> Required properties:
>  - compatible: "marvell,armada-510-display", "marvell,mmp2-display" or
>   "marvell,mmp3-display"
>  - reg: Register space for this display controller
>  - clocks: List of clocks available to this device. From common clock binding.
>  - clock-names: Names of the given clocks (see below)
>  - ports: From video interface binding
>
> Valid clock names for Armada 510: extclk0 extclk1 axi pll
>
> Valid clock names for MMP2: lcd1 lcd2 axi hdmi
>
> Valid clock names for MMP3: lcd1 lcd2 axi hdmi dsi lvds
>

> Example:
>
>     display {
>       compatible = "marvell,armada-display";
>       reg = <0 0x3f000000 0x1000000>; /* video-mem hole */
>       marvell,video-devices = <&dcon0>;
>     };
>
>     dcon0: display-controller at 20000 {
>       compatible = "marvell,armada-510-display-controller";
> [...]

Some remarks:

- I think it is better to keep the names 'lcd' for the memory to dumb panel
  sub-devices and 'dcon' for the dumb panel to LCD/VGA sub-device, as
  named in the spec.

- the phandles to the clocks does not tell how the clock may be set by
  the driver (it is an array index in the 510).

- I don't see the use of the phandles in the leaves (dcon and tda998x).

Well, here is how I feel the DTs:

- for the Cubox (one LCD, the DCON is not used, TDA998x for HDMI/DVI
  output):

	video {
		compatible = "marvell,armada-video";
		marvell,video-devices = <&lcd0>		/* only one device */
	};

	/* the LCD reg and interrupts are described in dove.dtsi */

	&lcd0 {
		status = "okay";
		clocks = <&core_clk 3>, <&lcdclk>, <&si5351 0>;
		marvell,clock-type = <0>, <2>, <3>;	/* how to set the clock */
		marvell,connector-type = <11>;		/* HDMIA */
		marvell,external-encoder = <&tda998x>;
	};

	&i2c0 {
		si5351: clock-generator {
		};
		tda998x: hdmi-encoder {
			compatible = "nxp,tda998x";
			reg = <0x70>;
			interrupt-parent = <&gpio0>;
			interrupts = <27 2>;		/* falling edge */
		};
	};

- for some tablet based on the Armada 510 with a LCD and a VGA connector:

	video {
		compatible = "marvell,armada-video";
		marvell,video-devices = <&lcd0>, <&lcd1>, <&dcon>
	};

	/* the LCDs reg and interrupts are described in dove.dtsi */

	&lcd0 {						/* LCD */
		status = "okay";
		clocks = <&lcdclk>;			/* only the LCD clock */
		marvell,clock-type = <2>;
		marvell,connector-type = <7>;		/* LVDS */
		display-timings {
			mode {
				hactive = <1920>;
				vactive = <1080>;
				hfront-porch = <88>;
				hsync-len = <44>;
				hback-porch = <148>;
				vfront-porch = <4>;
				vsync-len = <5>;
				vback-porch = <36>;
				clock = <148500>;
			};
		};
	};
	&lcd1 {						/* VGA */
		status = "okay";
		clocks = <&core_clk 3>, <&lcdclk>;	/* only the AXI and LCD clocks */
		marvell,clock-type = <0>, <2>;		/* how to set the clock */
		marvell,port-type = <1>;		/* VGA */
			/* there may be some external encoder to handle DAC */
	};

	/* the DCON reg and interrupts are described in dove.dtsi */

	&dcon { status = "okay"; };

--
Ken ar c'hentañ	|	      ** Breizh ha Linux atav! **
Jef		|		http://moinejf.free.fr/