Commit f5d9b7f0f9 (fix r600_enable_sclk_control()) causes kexec issues

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 07:53:16 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Markus Trippelsdorf
<markus at trippelsdorf.de> wrote:
> On 2013.07.29 at 15:53 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Eric W. Biederman
>> <ebiederm at xmission.com> wrote:

>> > Absoltuely.  All parts of the reboot path call ->shutdown.  Including
>> > kexec.
>> >
>> > You don't get a device remove/hotunplug but unless this is a kexec on
>> > panic ->shutdown is most definitely called.  Now I am talking about the
>> > device layer/pci layer shutdown method I don't know how gpu drivers are
>> > wired up.  GPU land was a little strange last I looked.  Hopefully it
>> > isn't so strange that there is a method named shutdown that is not wired
>> > up.
>>
>> It doesn't look like the drm infrastructure has a shutdown callback.
>> The drm drivers register a drm_driver callback struct that includes an
>> unload callback which takes care of all the device teardown (if you
>> unload the module for example).  I don't know that it actually gets
>> called at kexec time however.  I don't know enough about how kexec
>> works.
>
> BTW there is r100_restore_sanity() in drm/radeon/r100.c that explicitly
> handles the kexec case during init. So maybe an r600_restore_sanity()
> function is needed?
>
> (One of the advantages of using kexec (besides the much quicker boot
> time) is that the monitor is not switched off and then on during boot.
> I guess that advantage would be lost if the unload callback would be
> called.)

r100_restore_sanity() is basically a set of hacks (that gets called at
driver startup) to work around the fact that with kexec the drm driver
is not torn down correctly.  So we could add a bunch more asic
specific tear down sequences to deal with dpm (and all the other
engines on the GPU that may potentially cause problems if they are not
torn down properly), but that will just turn into a mess.  All of
these hacks also add latency to the driver load.  I think the best
solution would probably be to figure how to hook up the drm unload
callback to the shutdown method that kexec uses.

Alex