Multiple issues with omapdrm

Tomi Valkeinen tomi.valkeinen at ti.com
Thu Jun 6 00:14:44 PDT 2013

On 05/06/13 17:58, Rob Clark wrote:

> could be udev or something else was triggering the module to load?
> Not 100% sure offhand.

Well in my case I load them manually. But if there are applications out
there, that at the moment use drmOpen("omapdrm"), then the change would
break those apps.

>> Why do you "need" drmOpen("omap")? Is it just a convention to use that
>> kind of name, instead of "omapdrm" style name?
>
> all of the /dev/dri/cardN get opened, and then DRM_IOCTL_VERSION ioctl
> to get the driver name/version, which is compared against the name
> passed in to drmOpen().  So drmOpen("omapdrm") shouldn't really work

Ok, so normally nobody will call drmOpen("omapdrm") explicitly, but
somebody (X?) will just do what you described to get the modules loaded?
If so, I guess it's unlikely that there would be an app with
drmOpen("omapdrm").

Of course, we could also rename the name returned via DRM_IOCTL_VERSION
to be "omapdrm", right? But looking at the names of other drivers,
"omap" is probably better.

 Tomi