Introduce a new helper framework for buffer synchronization

Inki Dae inki.dae at samsung.com
Mon May 13 02:21:12 PDT 2013

Hi Maarten,

It seems that you say user should wait for a buffer like KDS does: KDS uses
select() to postpone submitting new commands. But I think this way assumes
that every data flows a DMA device to a CPU. For example, a CPU should keep
polling for the completion of a buffer access by a DMA device. This means
that the this way isn't considered for data flow to opposite case; CPU to
DMA device.

> Kernel space doesn't need the root hole you created by giving a
> dereferencing a pointer passed from userspace.
> Your next exercise should be to write a security exploit from the api you
> created here. It's the only way to learn how to write safe code. Hint:
> df.ctx = mmap(..);

Also I'm not clear to use our way yet and that is why I posted. As you
mentioned, it seems like that using mmap() is more safe. But there is one
issue it makes me confusing. For your hint, df.ctx = mmap(..), the issue is
that dmabuf mmap can be used to map a dmabuf with user space. And the dmabuf
means a physical memory region allocated by some allocator such as drm gem
or ion.

There might be my missing point so could you please give me more comments?

Thanks,
Inki Dae