gma500: display displaced vertically by a few lines

Holger Schurig holgerschurig at gmail.com
Mon May 13 06:02:46 PDT 2013

Thanks Dave, for the fast answer.

I had a new attack of a "BWAAAH, since 5 years graphics drivers for X11 on
Linux are a mess" moment. Things don't work out of the box, and if you try
google-fu, then you get ton's of ancient, outdated or only halfways true
information. Grrr.

That's not downplaying your work or knowledge at all, Dave. It's just an
outburst of a feeling!

I installed xserver-xorg-video-modesettings (from Debian Wheezy) and also
updated xserver-core, -evdev, -vesa and -fbdev. The I started X11. Seems
that Debian doesn't yet contain the addition of the modesettings driver to
the auto-probed drivers, Xorg.0.log didn't contain a trace of modesettings.

So I added

Section "Device"
        Identifier "gma"
        Driver     "modesetting"
BusID    "pci:0:2:0
EndSection

But then I get

[  4309.430] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
[  4309.430] (--) using VT number 1

[  4309.463] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[  4309.464] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"
[  4309.464] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[  4309.464]
Fatal server error:
[  4309.464] no screens found

So, I tried to add a screen, while grumbling "Since when do I need a
'Screen' section in a modern xorg.conf again?":

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "800x600"
        Device "Card0"
        DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

But X11 still says

[  4440.511] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[  4440.511]
Fatal server error:
[  4440.511] no screens found

And of course, it's silent about WHAT exactly would constitute a usable
configuration.

I tried 32 bits depth as well. I tried adding a subsection "Display". I
tried to stay calm ...  but no success so far!   :-)

BTW, I upgraded to kernel 3.9.2 for this.