Introduce a new helper framework for buffer synchronization

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Wed May 15 07:06:15 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 1:19 AM, Inki Dae <inki.dae at samsung.com> wrote:

> [...]

right, I understand you can have background threads, etc, in
userspace.  But there are already plenty of synchronization primitives
that can be used for cpu->cpu synchronization, either within the same
process or between multiple processes.  For cpu access, even if it is
handled by background threads/processes, I think it is better to use
the traditional pthreads or unix synchronization primitives.  They
have existed forever, they are well tested, and they work.

So while it seems nice and orthogonal/clean to couple cache and
synchronization and handle dma->cpu and cpu->cpu and cpu->dma in the
same generic way, but I think in practice we have to make things more
complex than they otherwise need to be to do this.  Otherwise I think
we'll be having problems with badly behaved or crashing userspace.

BR,
-R