[RFC 4/4] DRM: tda998x: add missing include

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Sat May 18 12:11:03 PDT 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Jean-Francois Moine <moinejf at free.fr> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2013 14:23:19 -0400
> Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > These parameters should not be there. It seems to me that the DT is the
>> > right place.
>>
>> You might not want to directly have a hard DT dependency in tda998x,
>> as the encoder could be used on non-DT platforms.  Although a DT to
>> encoder-params helper might be a nice idea for platforms which do have
>> DT.
>
> If I correctly understand:
>
> - Russell does not use any DT, so his drm driver should be declared in
>   some cubox-setup code in mach-dove/
>
> - this code should also declare the tda998x
>
> - the drm driver contains/passes parameters to the tda998x
>
> As the connection Dove LCD <-> tda998x is Cubox specific, the question
> is: why are'nt the tda998x parameters in the cubox-setup code?

ok, maybe I am misunderstanding you.  I think the parameters should be
filled in by the board file on a non-DT setup.  But the part in
drivers/gpu/drm/i2c should not pull them directly out of DT, or should
have an arrangement like

 #ifdef CONFIG_OF
 .. pull params out of DT ..
#else
 .. use params passed in from via params struct, which is populated in
board file ..
#endif

to accommodate non-DT builds.  (Although I think just having a helper
to populate 'struct tda998x_encoder_params' from DT seems cleaner.)

BR,
-R