[RFC 0/8] rmk's Dove DRM/TDA19988 Cubox driver

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Mon May 20 13:15:36 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 09:36:02AM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> You can tell the xserver what size cursor you support when you call
> xf86_cursors_init() in the ddx.  Just expose a 32x64 or 64x32 ARGB
> cursor.  Most apps don't use a 64x64 cursor anyway.  I've used
> hardware with non-64x64 cursors and haven't run into any problems yet.

I guess the xf86 backend will fall back to software cursors if it gets
a cursor larger than the hardware supports, so maybe 64x32 will be
fine.

However, my comments concerning the less-than-64x64 size come from
David Airlie who said "X and userside programs expect 64x64 to work.
so its possibly pointless supporting anything less, as in you'd write
code but nobody would end up using it".

Note also that the generic DRM KMS code assumes cursor support at
64x64, and there's no generic way for a driver at present (that I know
of) to inform it of anything different.