drm-openchrome status (or will it be in Kernel 3.10?)

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Sun May 26 14:38:15 PDT 2013

>         Sorry I didn't responded earlier. I was swamped at work with
> projects and conferences. After I got back from my last conference
> Xavier informed me about this email and we had a discussion about
> merging. Currently we have a external tree which is two years old but
> most of the work has happened in the last 8 months. The reason for
> delaying mergering was to ensure most distros would be carrying the
> version of openchrome xorg driver that supports KMS. Today with that
> barrier gone we have to deal with the drm-openchrome branch not being
> in top shape. Since I have been back the tree has been cleaned up and
> the last show stoppers were checked in yesterday. Currently we support
> LVDS, HDMI/DVI, and VGA outputs which cover most people. By no means is
> the kernel driver complete but it is usable. I would say the branch is
> now ready for merger.
>         Dave what is the best way to push this code? I am in no rush so
> I like to do it the right way. We have scattered history in the external
> tree but I would not lose sleep over its lost. I could just post pieces
> of the code to this list for review. One choice is after all the code is
> reviewed is to then merge the branch. Another choice is to create a new
> branch for later merge that will be composed of the patches posted to this
> list. We lose the history but that is not to be of deal for me. Just let
> me know what you would like and I will start the process.

Hi James,

I would probably say history loss is inevitable unless the tree is at
a fairly high standard wrt bisection fail etc.

But it would probably be good to post the driver to dri-devel at least
once so people can take a look, not sure what
the best way to split it up is, the initial patches can be split
different than what we merge if it makes reading it easier.

Can you post a link to what you consider the best place for me to be
looking so I can see if splitting it makes sense.

Dave.