Introduce a new helper framework for buffer synchronization

Maarten Lankhorst maarten.lankhorst at canonical.com
Tue May 28 00:23:08 PDT 2013

Hey,

Op 28-05-13 04:49, Inki Dae schreef:

> [...]
The tickets have been removed in favor of a ww_context. Moving it in as a base primitive
allows more locking abuse to be detected, and makes some other things easier too.

> Question, WW-Mutexes could be used for all devices? I guess this has
> dependence on x86 gpu: gpu has VRAM and it means different memory domain.
> And could you tell my why shared fence should have only eight objects? I
> think we could need more than eight objects for read access. Anyway I think
> I don't surely understand yet so there might be my missing point.
Yes, ww mutexes are not limited in any way to x86. They're a locking mechanism.
When you acquired the ww mutexes for all buffer objects, all it does is say at
that point in time you have exclusively acquired the locks of all bo's.

After locking everything you can read the fence pointers safely, queue waits, and set a
new fence pointer on all reservation_objects. You only need a single fence
on all those objects, so 8 is plenty. Nonetheless this was a limitation of my
earlier design, and I'll dynamically allocate fence_shared in the future.

~Maarten