Usage of dma-buf sg-tables

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Fri Nov 1 14:33:02 CET 2013

Hi!

Considering that the linux DMA-API states that information in an sg-list
may be destroyed when it's mapped,
it seems to me that at least  one of the drm prime functions use invalid
assumptions.

In particular, I don't think it's safe to assume that pages in a single
sg-list segment are contigous after mapping, so
if we want struct page pointers we should use

pfn = dma_to_phys((sg_dma_address(sg) + p_offset*PAGE_SIZE)) >> PAGE_SHIFT

and if the pfn is valid, convert it to a struct page.

(Incorrect code is, for example, in drm_prime_sg_to_page_addr_arrays)

Or does dma-buf require that page info in sg-lists need to be kept
across the map operation?

BTW this brings up another question: It's stated that the above function
is needed by the TTM driver in order to do
correct fault handling. This seems odd, TTM shouldn't be able to mmap()
or fault an imported dma-buf, right?

Thanks,
Thomas