[Mesa-dev] rules for merging patches to libdrm

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 14:32:32 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since we seemed to have some confusion over this I'll state it clearly here.
>
> You should not merge kernel interface and ioctls to libdrm until they
> have appeared in a git commit upstream with a stable id, this
> generally means drm-next, but can also mean drm-intel-next.

How does this interact with the rule that kernel interfaces require an
open source userspace? Is "here are the mesa/libdrm patches that use
it" sufficient to get the kernel interface merged?

libdrm is easy to change and its releases are cheap. What problem does
committing code that uses an in-progress kernel interface to libdrm
cause? I guess I'm not understanding something.