possible regression Radeon RV280 (R3xx/R4xx ?) card freeze, re-apply old patch ?

Jochen Rollwagen joro-2013 at t-online.de
Thu Nov 14 23:49:18 PST 2013

I think there are two issues here: the first is the missing alignment
workaround, since i'll be upgrading to 3.4.69 anyway i'll insert some
diagnostic messages in radeon_device.c and see what happens. But i'm
pretty certain now that this isn't the cause for the lockups. They are
probably (quite certainly) caused by the dynamic binding/unbinding of
AGP memory which the Uninorth chipset used in 32-bit powermacs obviously
doesn't support. All it supports seems to be statically allocating a 256
MB contigouous non-cacheable AGP aperture and using that (since the
chipset doesn't do any address mapping via the GART as indicated in the
OpenBSD code). So to get AGP mode working again on those machines one
would have to disable the dynamic memory stuff. Question: Would that
require changes in the driver only or also in the DRM ?

Cheers

Jochen